Monday, June 29, 2015

Definitely a Digital Immigrant







Although I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to using technology, I am most definitely a digital immigrant. I do not naturally think or work digitally, I still like paper and pencils. I also like the smell of a good book.

I do have a Facebook account, but rarely post or update my status. I cannot stand the feeling of being tied to social media and I consider avid users of social media to be highly attention seeking.


                                         


I like what this other reluctant blogger has to say about social media. Here's another link to a similar blog post.

I basically use technology because I have to, it's the dirrection in which the world is moving and I don't want to be left behind.

But, I often wonder about how social media is affecting those who are more introverted (like myself). Why should we be forced to engage in this brightly lit world of constant contact? What if I don't really care about what all of my "friends" are doing at all times? I think that social media can be a good outlet for kids (and adults) who may be more shy in person. But for me, I genuinely need to feel disconnected sometimes.

I like this video about introverts:

http://youtu.be/c0KYU2j0TM4



Now, I don't want to sound like a grumpy complainer. I really have one foot on either side of the digital line. I see many opportunites and great things that will (and already have) come out of this brave new world. However, I do approach it with caution, similar to any immigrant coming to a new world, afraid to lose all of my history and traditions.  I'm not so sure I like all of the changes that have come about because of an increase in technology. 

I'm actually grateful that I didn't grow up in this digital time, I think my experiences will enable me to obtain more balance and reflectiveness when it comes to the constant wave of new technology. 









1 comment:

  1. Brittany, I definitely understand your point! Sometimes I feel so relieved when I haven't had a chance to "check" my phone and get onto Facebook and Instagram all day....it's like taking a little "time out"...something I don't think our students give themselves the chance to do often, if at all. I've also thought about how different my experiences would have been had I grown up a digital native....and I don't think I like it. Then again, we've experienced both sides of this technological shift. It will be interesting to see our students as they continue to grow and learn about and with and through technology...and to see how much we can learn with them.
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete